Sunday, May 10, 2009

i hope they appreciated our appreciation

Last week was teacher appreciation week at Lia's elementary school. I was in charge of the PTO's efforts to make the teachers feel loved. I was a fun, but completely exhausting week. We fed the staff breakfast Monday, a dessert bar Wednesday, lunch on Friday, and each morning we gave them a small gift in their box. The principal was also nice enough to give me some wall space so the art teacher and I could help the kids paint a mural honoring their teachers. This was the best part of the week for me. It was hard to think of a way that 380 kids could all participate in the project - but in the end I think we pulled it off.
The house looked like this all week...complete disaster
treats for the teachers boxes
here is the wall of the cafeteria before....scary blue guy, no one seemed very sad to see him go
a fresh coat of paint :)
I painted the design on the wall and the kids filled it in with hand prints (for the grass and around the flowers) and fingerprints (to fill in the leaves and petals and globe)
looking a little closer to finished
Lia was sick the day her class put their fingerprints on the wall so I took her later on in the week to put her hand print on. Her hand print is the dark pink one in the middle of the brown/pink/purple flower. She got a fairly prominent spot..... what can I say??
and Lia was nice enough to take my picture as well...looking lovely in the 7up shirt and super old Nike pants...
I still have a bit of finish work to do - I will be sure and take a photo when it's complete

*the quote on the wall says
A teacher...takes a hand, opens a mind, touches a heart... and shapes the future
just in case it was a bit hard to make out in the photos :)

12 comments:

Love Fam said...

Wow, that looks like a ton of work!! What cute ideas, you are amazing. The painting turned out more than darling!!! I am sure they appreciated it, if not they are crazy!!

GRITS said...

I'm sure the teachers feel appreciated. How can they not? Everything looked so cute. Is your mural right on the wall or on poster paper? It's a HUGE improvement over scary, blue guy! I totally feel appreciated just looking at your pictures. :)

Book Girl said...

I'm tired just looking at all those cute treats you put together for the 50 teachers and staff! I got to see the scary blue guy up close and personal - can I just say vast improvement! Thanks Lia for taking your mom's picture. Love you all!
P.S.(Can't wait to see you Kel)

Deanna said...

You are truly the most talented person I know! Everything is so cute! I love all the teacher surprises. And the wall mural, wow...what a great idea to incorporate all the children with hand/finger prints. It really brightens up the school.

I love lia's hand print!

Lacey said...

What a creative mind you have! Seriously darling. I'm sure all your hard work paid off!

tHe HiLL FaMiLy fiVe said...

Forget the teachers...those poor little children will no longer be afraid to enter the luch room...ScaRY bLue GuY is gOnE!! I'm sure the kids will be forever greatful :) Great job with the mural...LoVe it.

Anonymous said...

You are one talented mommy!!!
Those hand outs and "the wall" look awesome!!! I think I know where to take my kids if they want to learn to paint.........do you offer lessons?!!!

thehalvs said...

At this point I'm feelin' a little sorry for scary blue guy. He'll now forever be known as 'the crappy painting that used to be where the TOTALLY ASWESOME & WICKED flowers now are.'
Oh Well!
Whatcha gonna do?

You and I must be related by the way. Although your crafty projects have a tendency to turn out cuter than mine, our method of working is identical. Your pics of your messes cracked me up. I work just like that. On the floor, assembly line style, messing everything up as I go and cleaning it up at the end. (Much to my hubbies chagrin mind you. He comes from the school of clean it up as you go. What fun is that?)

Love you! Great Work!
the sis

laurie coleman photography said...

Awesome, Kel! You are so talented and always out-do yourself! I'm sure the teachers loved & appreciated it.

Q said...

You are simply amazing! Those are some lucky teachers there. Does the mural stay; I hope so!

Hemmert said...

That is really cute. You, my dear, are very talented.

Katie King said...

GREAT JOB KELLY!! You are creative, very talented. I don't remember a finsihed picture of the mural, did I miss it? I hope they will leave the painting on the wall for a year.