Friday, June 26, 2009

update on Jax (chiari malformation and other words i don't like)

I thought I would post an update about my Jaxon.
We have received so many phone calls and e-mails, I wish I could answer them all promptly...however that is not going to be the reality, so I thought perhaps a post would help let people know what is going on.
Plus the more people praying for the boy the better..right?
I'm getting ahead of myself however..so let me back up -
About three or four weeks ago Jax started having severe headaches.
He would complain of pain in the back of his head/neck, nausea, sensitivity to light sound etc. He would then go up to his room and fall asleep for several hours or overnight. He has always been a bit prone to headaches, but this was definitely out of the ordinary and had us concerned. I was thinking perhaps he had some sort of migraine thing happening?? We really didn't know. So, I scheduled him an appointment with our pediatrician on Wednesday the 17th. We went in early (8 or so) and Ty watched the girls and was planning to go into work when we got back. When the pediatrician examined him he didn't see anything that was very conclusive, but decided that because of the severity of the headaches he would send us to the ER for more testing. So we went to the ER at the hospital here in Neenah. Jaxon (on top of everything) had some sort of viral bug and had a fever that day, the nurse tried to take his temp under his tongue and he threw up all over her - poor guy. He was scared to make a mess on the clean white bed. I had to tell him that of all people the ER nurse could probably handle it. So the ER doc examined him and he had some anti nausea meds and IV fluids to help him feel better. Tyler dropped the girls off at our friends home (thank you SO much once again for having them Joanna) and came to the hospital. They did a CT and MRI of his head that afternoon and found what was most likely the cause of the headache.
He has what's called a Chiari Malformation and a related problem called Basilar Invagination.
Because I am not great at explaining, I found some definitions and photos.
Here are definitions of both:
About Chiari Malformation -
Chiari malformation is a rare abnormality at the base of the brain that results in brain tissue extending into the spinal canal. The condition may be congenital (present at birth) or may develop as the skull and brain grow.
Basilar Invagination -
Basilar invagination is a disorder in which the base of the skull is not formed correctly. As a result, the upper tip of the spine tends to protrude into the area where the spinal cord leaves the brain, and can cause pressure in this area.
Though mostly found in patients who have other spinal or bone problems, such as Arnold-Chiari malformations or osteogenesis imperfecta, occasionally some children have this problem alone. The exact number of people affected is unknown, but is believed to be extremely unusual.
So that evening we were sent to the Children's Hospital of Wisconsin in Milwaukee. There we met with a Neurosurgery resident who confirmed Jaxon's diagnosis. Since then the docs ordered a CT and MRI of Jaxon's spine as well (which we had done this past Wednesday).
We are set to meet with the Neurosurgeon and Spine specialist on July 8th in Milwaukee. We have also sent all of his information to the Mayo Clinic in Minnesota, which is about 4hrs. drive from our home.
That's really all we know for now. Tyler and I are trying to read up on the subject in preparation for our meetings with the specialists. It is likely that our summer could be filled with surgery, hospital stays and a fairly long recovery. We are grateful that we live by some wonderful health care facilities and hope to find the best possible care for Jax.

Thank you all so much for your thoughts, prayers, meals, babysitting service calls and e-mails. We have the greatest friends and family ever and we love you all so very much.
At the moment Jax is doing fairly well, and we will of course update as soon as we know anything further.


21 comments:

Book Girl said...

These are the times it is so hard to live hundreds of miles away. I want to also thank your friends and neighbors in Wisconsin for being so kind and taking good care of you. Thanks for the update, I'm on the plane the moment you give me the green light. Love you all, Mom

tHe HiLL FaMiLy fiVe said...

Love you guys!! Love that Jax. I'm am also finding it very difficult to be so far from you right now. Wish there was more we could do. Thanks so much for the update. I've been thinking tons of that little guy, saying LOTS of prayers. Hope all goes well on the 8th. We will definitely be thinking of you. In the mean time I hope Jax is able to enjoy his summer as much as possible (minus the headaches). Oh, and tell him that the nurse had it coming...really, temperature under the tongue when the poor guy's not feeling well...she should have known better :)

Love you!!

Stac

Q said...

Thank you so much for the update on Jax. Our thoughts and prayers are with him and your family.

Haley said...

Kelly - I never leave comments but I just have to this time. I don't love hearing about brain/head problems as you might guess - I'm in tears at the moment. What a cute kid that little Jaxon is. We will keep you all in our thoughts and prayers and watch for updates. Good luck on the 8th. Love you all!
Haley

P.S. I think you're super-mom!

The Cooper's said...

Wow. I had no idea. I'm so sorry for all that you are going through. Your family, especially Jaxon, will be in our prayers. Hang in there.

Love Fam said...

Oh Kelly, I am so sorry to hear that, I wish there was more that we could do for you so many miles away! We will be praying!!!

Deanna said...

Kelly, thank you for the blog update on Jaxon. We will definitely keep praying for him.

You know I love your kids; Maggie and/or Lia are always welcome to come play if they want. Our door is always open.

It was so nice to see Jaxon acting like himself Monday night at soccer. I love his little smile. :)

Take care and call me for anything.

Anonymous said...

Gosh, every time I hear about this it makes me cry.
I will be fasting for Jaxon this Sunday and praying like crazy.
PLEASE let me know if you need ANYTHING. I really want to be of any help I can. I just can't imagine trying to deal with this like you are. You are super-mom!!!

Allison said...

Kelly, I wish we were there to give you more support at this rough time. Jaxon and your family will be in our prayers, he's such a cutie, we hope he starts feeling better soon!

love you!

The Turman's said...

So sorry to hear about little Jaxson! We will definetly keep you all in our thoughts and prayers! We love you all. Love, Lance and Jena

Nat said...

Thank you for the update. WE will be praying and fasting and keeping you in our thoughts. Hoping for a good outcome. Please keep us up to date. We love you all!

Denise said...

I don't personally know you but am an LHS alumni and read your blog from time to time. I just thought I would de-lurk and let you know that I have been thinking of your family all weekend & that our prayers are with you.

AJ said...

Hey, my good friend in Colorado just did this surgery with her 8 year old son Blake. It was a short recovery and little Blakey just had his 8 week check and everything looks fabulous! I am pretty sure it was a similar procedure... Check out there blog and it might be helpful and comforting. http://wupwo.blogspot.com/
Good luck and lots of prayers!

Nate and Janie said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Jaxon. I hope all goes well in the next few weeks. You guys are in my thoughts and prayers. Hang in there.....

L said...

I wish I was there to help. I hope that you get things figured out... no little guy should have to be in so much pain :( We'll keep your fam in our prayers.

thehalvs said...

I don't know what to say except that I love you guys. Jax is an angel and he couldn't have better parents.

The Bullock Family said...

I am so sorry to hear about this challenge. It's so fun for me to spy on you guys through your blog, and get to know your family better. We will keep you in our prayers, and hope everything goes well! Love, Beth

GRITS said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Jax. We think about him and Lia EVERY TIME we go through the "Animal Houses." I wish we lived closer so I could help you. You'll be in our prayers. Good luck on the 8th.

Kim said...

I was just catching up on blogging and had no idea. Your sweet family means the world to us and we will definately be praying for you and that precious Jaxon.
Love you all,
Greg and Kim

Lacey said...

Kell...I am so sorry to hear that your little guy is sick. We will definitely be praying for you and him. Hang in there.

Alysia said...

Hey guys, I am so sorry to hear about this. I hope that everything goes well with the surgery. We will keep yu n our prayers.