My Grandma Grace passed away last week at the age of ninety one. I was able to make a quick trip home to Utah to attend her funeral services over the weekend (thanks again dad for flying me home). I will always be grateful that I got to be there to pay tribute to this sweet woman. I wanted to quickly share just a few thoughts about who she was and how she affected my life.
This is probably my favorite picture ever of Grandma. It's a classic if you ask me, the hat the hair, everything - I absolutely love it.
Here's grandma and my cute dad.

Grandma Grace and Grandpa DeOnge's family (check out Steve and Lynn behind my Grandpa :) aren't they so cute!)
This is probably my favorite picture ever of Grandma. It's a classic if you ask me, the hat the hair, everything - I absolutely love it.

Here's grandma and my cute dad.

Grandma Grace and Grandpa DeOnge's family (check out Steve and Lynn behind my Grandpa :) aren't they so cute!)

This would be the grandma I remember. Warm smile, perfectly curled white hair - how could you not love her?
I loved staying at my grandma's house when I was young, especially if my parents were on a date and I got to stay overnight. The evening would most likely include watching Lawrence Welk on PBS and eating ice cream (she often had peppermint - with the little hunks of candy cane - it loved that). Grandma would talk at length about each member of the Lawrence Welk cast and whether or not they were one of her favorites. I loved sleeping at Grandma's because she always had silky pillow cases and I thought her blankets always smelled heavenly. Grandma was also a great cook - my personal favorites being her pot roast and cheesy cauliflower. I have never seen anyone make pot roast fall apart like that - my dad has come close a few times, but he will still have to keep practicing!
One of my favorite things about grandma was that no matter what you told her, you could most likely count on her responding with a "Oh, bless your heart". I'm so grateful that my heart was blessed many times by Grandma Grace, she was such a blessing to each one of us.
I love you Grandma - bless YOUR heart
6 comments:
So sorry to read about your grandma.
I'm so sorry to hear about your grandma's passing. Don't you just love grandmas? Your Grandma looks and sounds like a wonderful woman! Won't it be amazing to someday be with them again!
It was so good to have you home for the funeral. Thanks for sharing your tender memories of Grandma Grace. We missed Tyler and the kids. Thanks to Jim and Kathy for encouraging you to come home even though they were visiting in Wisconsin. Love you tons, Mom
I'm so sorry to hear about your Grandma. I loved reading your memories of her. She sounds so sweet. How wonderful that you were able to go to Utah for the funeral. Take care.
I'm so sorry to hear about your Grandma Kelly. It's so great that you have such wonderful memories of her.
I've gotta tell you, I'm glad that I'm apparantly not crazy... I thought I saw you and your mom walking one morning as I was on my way to Cookie's house. Please tell me I haven't inherited the crazy gene!? LOL
The cauliflower and the pot roast. Seriously good stuff. Also enjoyed the spare ribs. Gotta do them like she did for the family sometime. Don't have a prayer of doing the pot roast like she did though.
love you-
jenn
Post a Comment